Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Beeitch gonna call you out!

Funniest damned thing happened on the elevator on my way out of the building.

I got on the elevator to go to the parking garage with a group of 5 guys who work on my floor. Included is the sartorial splendor- the guy with the "outfits" that are color coordinated. Yesterday was the green track suit/shoes combo. Today was yellow and black. Anyway, they get on, all yammering away in some slavic sounding language. Not Russian. Possibly Polish.

There is a woman already aboard, in the back.

She says, "are you speaking Romanian?"

They all start- one of them turns bright red and says, "yes, you understand?"

"Yes. I understand. I speak English better than Romanian, but I understand." Said with a knowing look.

They sputter amongst themselves awkwardly for a couple moments more until they get to their floor, and rush off.

She starts laughing as the doors closed. She said, "guess they didn't expect that!"

Now my guess is that they were talking shit about the rest of us on the elevator- but I didn't get a chance to ask- my floor came up.

And there you have it. I work on a floor with a passel of Romanians. In funny clothes.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think those matching sweatsuits were a give-away. They either had to be Romanian or Bulgarian. You should see them when they travel en masse and try to look suave in their fancy new bootleg sweatsuits. They have no sense of shame and can be seen strolling the streets of Istanbul in their "Adibas" outfits with clashing "Mike" footwear.

(S)wine said...

thank god i wasn't there.
trapped in an elevator w/track-suit wearing Romanians....my nightmare.

next time tell them a friend taught you how to say this:
"Pizda mamii matii" (pee-zda mah-mee muh-tea)

It is a lovely curse phrase.

slyboots2 said...

God Rich- the life you've led. I saved your letters from the road- start writing- it would be wonderful.

And El, I'll memorize that one for future reference. I have a couple of choice Russian phrases, but usually don't trot them out unless drunk. And that won't happen at work. Romanian coming from someone else would spook them, though.