Friday, October 28, 2005

Well- that was ... interesting

The interview didn't go as well as planned. I think it deserves fiasco of the year award. Why? Well, not my fault exactly.

I was doing the song n dance. Answering the questions. Making the connections. Communicating my ass off, if you will. Then one of the interviewers- who had been in and out of the room the entire time- decided to score some points off of me. Had it been a normal meeting, not an interview, I wouldn't have put up with her shit. Not for a moment. But since it's an interview, and I must play nice, I had to deal with her very obnoxious comment.

I was discussing my job back in the day when we were determining how it would fit within the company. I said that I refused to do the books, and wanted to focus on the Project Management side of things. She wanted details of how I had "refused" to do something that my boss had requested. Fuck. Let's discuss context, shall we? I was in the middle of discussing how I had been instrumental in developing the project management protocol for the business. It hadn't happened prior to my assuming the position because the woman who I replaced had been saddled with the books, etc. And I am not an accountant. So I was on the defensive, and had to defend myself to this little nasty woman. If she had been in the room while I had been there - the ENTIRE time- she would've gotten the background. Instead, she had the "refused" thingy to hang up on.

I sidled a bit and told her that it was more of a discussion of priorities, and capabilities. That I wasn't capable of doing the books. That we needed an admin person anyway (and boy did we ever get one- another story- I digress). It sucked. The other people in the room were very nice, and seemed embarrassed by her- they were even nicer after her little nastiness. But I think that it's safe to assume that I tanked. From that point onward. Even though one of the people walked me to the elevator, and kept up the small talk. She probably has the power to squash any hopes I had. So perhaps, I am lucky. Perhaps she is one of the nasties that I try to avoid in jobs and life. The soul suckers who reside in companies with the sole role of making others miserable. Fuck her if that's what she is.

Or she is very proud of herself for discovering what a bad seed I really am. How very unworthy I am. How horrible I am as an employee. I told her to feel free to call my boss and discuss the situation with him. After all, I was only there for 3 years after "refusing" to do something that he requested. And I only left to move to Seattle. Hmmmm. Tempting to hit the vodka. Very tempting...

2 comments:

(S)wine said...

i'm surprised that, in your nicest and firmest tone, you didn't care to point out that she was in and out during the interview and that she wasn't present to put the matter into context. Had she been the judge in a court of law, she'd have been replaced for not hearing the entire evidence.

I once lost an advertising job for a music retailer because part (the last part, after 3 hrs.) of my interview was to make up a slogan for a new set of drums. The interviewer asked if Icould do it on the spot. I said yes, but refused to do so. He asked why? I politely explained that I would be giving away a potential gem of an advertising slogan for free. I explained that unless I was already working for them, I couldn't do this. They would be able to use my idea without hiring me. He was visibly upset that I didn't trust him. I politely explained that as a writer I am always aware of copyright issues. And so I couldn't give him his slogan. And, of course, I didn't get the job. Better to stick to principles and honesty. I never felt an iota of guilt; I felt that someone was possibly exploiting me for my talent, under the guise of an interview. I had no problem showing him my previous experience, but I was not going to create something as a "test." Not unless I was already working for him. He didn't understand or respect that. I never got the job. The company went under in less than 10 months. That's how these celestial things go down.

slyboots2 said...

You see- you did handle that exceptionally well. I just was glad to get out of there without losing my temper. And it was a struggle. I usually don't put up with that kind of shit and nonsense.

I am proud that I was able to keep my footing and rather adroitly defend myself. But having to defend myself during an interview, to total strangers was inappropriate and cruel of her. The bitch.

It was odd how he walked me to the elevator- and acted like he had something to tell me...but then didn't. Odd.

And I did actually send off my thank you notes. I'll be damned if she'll get me off my game. The bitch.