Friday, October 28, 2005

Another thing to be pissy about

I was at the new Barnes and Noble. On the bestseller shelf is a stupid book. It's all about the government's plot to make you sick, and keep you sick, and hide the "truth" that will change your life.

Right. So I decided to give it a look see to get an idea of what kernels of wisdom they offer. Right. All was ok until I saw the part about wearing the magnetic ring. Then I expected the tinfoil hats to start getting face time. Because we're seeing some silliness now.

Then there was a claim that really got to me. According to the author, skin cancer is caused by sun block. He backs this up with the solipsim that people who wear the most sun block suffer from skin cancer the most. Damn. Little did I know! Stupid me. Thought that my skin cancer was caused by all of the non-sunblock exposure that I had as a child. But really....

Pissed me off big time. I wanted to call someone and yell at them. But then I decided that if people are stupid enough to a) buy the dumb book, and b) follow the instructions, then there will be fewer people. Because they will die young. With their magnetic rings and lack of sunblock. Then there will be more parking spots and chocolate cake for me! Yay!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

O_O

Silliness. I want to spout garbage and have it published as nonfiction, as authority. That would be sweet. That's what the author's probably thinking right now, foaming at the mouth as he rants against the use of sunblock.

Sorry about the interview. I think you are right, and that you wouldn't have wanted to work with the harpy anyway.

slyboots2 said...

Stoopid harpy. Hope she buys the book. And gets all stupid about the magnetic ring. And joins some kind of silly commune where they give eachother colonic irrigations and discuss the evils of sunblock.

I hate her. She ruined my day. I was really on a roll before she got all nasty too.

(S)wine said...

I will concede, however, that the pharmaceutical companies/lobbies have a humongous influence--DIRECTLY--on our health and well-being. The sunblock thing? Not so much.

slyboots2 said...

I've done some research. The "author" of the book has been banned by the FDA for life from doing infomercials. Seems he is what I suspected- a life long snake oil salesman. And now he's turning his ban into some kind of 1st amendment struggle. But there's an interesting article about him in Salon. Pity, though, the book is doing well on Amazon.

(S)wine said...

The lousy editor in me says: this post should've been written this way:

"Another thing to be pissy about. I was at the new Barnes and Noble."

That's it.

Har! I hate these big chain bookstores, and yet often find myself riding the escalators in them. Bastard marketing! It's like fucking crack.