Thursday, October 20, 2005

Magic Mirror

I'm wondering how many people who stumble across the blog remember Romper Room. I sure do. It was the mainstay of my day as a small child. I believe that my particular version of it originated in Salt Lake City- it was on that cable channel. I remember seeing other versions of it on road trips, and being very confused.

I always wanted one of those magic mirrors. I wanted to be able to see my friends and family that way- even though I didn't have many friends as a child. Not a pity play, just reality- not very well socialized. Not at all. Kind of a bookish little freak, I'm afraid. Add artistic, and you might see the dilemna. Downright awkward physically- yes always the last one chosen for teams, and rightfully so. I would've chosen me last too. Very, very clumsy. Broke my arm falling off of the parallel bars in gym in 6th grade. I did score a Star Wars Tshirt out of the incedent, though- light blue with my name on the back in iron-on rainbow letters!

There was a point here...ahhh...that's right. Anyway, I was very dramatic at a young age. I would dress up in my mom's old bridesmaid's dresses (lots of tulle) and wear a towel on my head that represented a veil of some kind, and prance around the house putting on plays, and imagining many adventures. When Charlie's Angels came along, my friend Connie and I would trade off being a particular angel for the day, and we would fight imaginary crime. Neither of us ever wanted to be Sabrina. Poor Kate Jackson.

Once I hit High School, I decided to try out for the drama team. I competed for 3 years, and decided to quit in my senior year. By that time I had figured out that the coaches were a touch politically inclined, and that the public didn't properly appreciate my art. I always competed in either serious solo of serious duo, with my likewise ever so serious best friend. I was going to be an actor. An ACTOR. Capital A. Not actress. Never. That's just not a serious moniker.

A friend of mine in college was also inclined to be an ACTOR. She was funny, very talented (better than me- I can admit it now) and was chock full o aspirations of grandeur. She quit college and went to LA. She is in IMDB. As are the other two real standouts from my drama team. (I get to see one of them in movies from time to time, and am very proud of her) She hasn't done anything in quite a while, though. She never took the world by storm and became a star. Sad, actually. I never took the gamble. I just kind of knew that I didn't have the staying power. I didn't have the total faith in my own abilities. Not at that age. I was so full of self-loathing and mistrust that it would've probably yielded very bad consequences. And I didn't really want to work very hard at it. I also thought that the actors who I knew who were all full of "the craft" and "method approaches", etc. were silly. I am very glad that there aren't any tapes in existence of my performances- betcha they were horribly cringeworthy.

Anyhew, I would love to see if they are still involved. I hope so. They were good at it, and despite some of them being heartily annoying in real life, I enjoyed watching them perform.

I did always want to play the part of Portia in Merchant of Venice though...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd have to say that out of all of us (family ladies), you are the most dramatic. Kim is, but it's really in a sad way. You can do real drama, that you can turn on and off, not whatever Kim does. I'm proud of that, and you (and K-Bot together, especially) NEVER fail in getting me out of my glumest moods with laughter, and making everyone laugh. It's a gift, and even if you didn't become and ACTOR, you spice up the lives of those who love you with that part of your nature:)

slyboots2 said...

Ah, but you see, that is comedy. I was supposed to be a dramatic ACTOR. None of this comedy, light stuff for me. Sigh. Flutter of the hand to the forehead...ah me....

And scene.

We do play rather well together, Kenga and I. So do you and I. The tragedy of Kim is that she's not acting. She's the real genuine thing. Messy and all. Poor pumpkin.

Anonymous said...

I think we won rave reviews for the Southern Belle performance at my Birthday, Mom and Dad (yes, even Dad) still comment on it when we go through pictures. They are good pictures, I should send some to you.

I think most actors are the real thing, messy and all. That's why it's good to NOT be one!:)Back to this Frey paper. Papers make my soul hurt. OUch!:)

slyboots2 said...

I had an exboyfriend whose mother was a classic southern belle. She loathed me. Seriously. I was far from the refined little flower of womanhood that her son deserved. What the hell they were doing in Montana is beyond me. She was my inspiration that day. The bitch.

Keep on the paper- you can own it! And those soul pains are called character, sunshine. Or else just paying your dues. Or else meaninless busywork. I forget which.

(S)wine said...

I would like to make a comment, but I fear i'm intruding into a private conversation.

slyboots2 said...

Nah- not that private. Please feel free- I always enjoy hearing from you.