Thursday, October 27, 2005

Uh huh.

So W withdrew poor Harriet's nomination. And then he blamed the Senate. How very disingenous of him. Now for my rant- you know you were waiting for it!

The lack of personal accountability of this administration is probably the most maddening aspects of the whole debacle. They consistently lie, cheat and leave their allies hanging in the breeze, and then it's always someone else's fault. In this particular case, W has no one to blame but himself for nominating someone with such minimal obvious credentials. And rather than provide information about what she has done for him since he's been in the white house, he pulls her- citing executive privelege. Love it. Such lese majesty. Such arrogance. She has done not much else with her career. What the fuck does he think the Senate is going to base their decision on? His good word? Right. Especially since right about now, members of his administration have to be sweating the whole possible indictment thingy.

I saw this coming years ago. I was in the Fray on Slate and said that his running the country as a business really bothers me. I don't think that the rules that govern a good (or in his case, indifferent to poor) CEO really apply to the Presidency. The person I was debating went for the jugular and derided me as an idiot. Yeah. Well I still stand behind my words. And think that history has proven a little somethin somethin. I hate that the most corrupt administration since the Teapot Dome scandal (check it out on Wikipedia) is probably this one. Sickening. And before you slam me for being a hypocrite and drag up the Clinton Presidency, halt. Show some restraint, for cryin out loud. I NEVER said that the Clinton's were some kind of miraculous antidote to corruption. Yeah, I liked them better, not gonna lie. But they did the same kind of ethically winky shit. And that's NOT ok.

I'm enough of a realist to know that without sketchy ethics, you probably won't make the kinds of deals with the people who will get your ass elected. I guess I just expected it to be a little less overt. And I'll tell you what- I would prefer a sad little sex scandal any day to a war of dubious lineage, Haliburton running the show, and secret agents getting exposed by members of the administration. It's ugly. And I really do wonder if it has to be this way- isn't there a Frank Capra out there to produce movies that get people questioning things again? No- do not suggest that Michael Moore is the newest version. I will not listen to that cant. Stuff and nonsense. Moore is a hack, with an axe to grind. He does some good, and plenty of bad. It's never smart to tell people how stupid they are and expect them to like your message enough to vote as you tell them. That's essentially patronizing. I can't blame people for getting ticked off at that kind of crap. He's a heavy-handed dunderhead.

There. I feel much better now. I've done my part to churn up the waters some more. And why not. I have such a readership...

I do, however, feel a little sorry for Harriet- some friend. Letting you get savaged by the conservative right for weeks...and then not really apologizing for putting your shit on the line in the first place. W does NOT rock.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

W stands for Whatadick. Do you have pierced ears? Just curious, and I can't remember! Am not smarten.

slyboots2 said...

Since I was 12. You be all smarten. You got youself all edumacated n such.

Anonymous said...

Thankee. Edumacated was not all like guarentee of smarten. Duz Kenga have the ears piercen? He shood.

slyboots2 said...

Nopa. He isn't that hip. He's actually rather conservative about that kind of thing. No ink. No piercings. Just himself. And a motorcycle. Then he's happy.

(S)wine said...

i thought she "withdrew."
in any case, i do agree w/the tone of this post.
now, as Scooter is indicted, it adds to your "most corrupt since" comment.
also, he DID think the Senate would nominate on his "good word." I'm sure of that--even though his approval rate has plummeted, he believes in his vision and ideas.
What makes a good politician good, is the ability to operate as a snake and parasite, and move on or abandon ideology and change with the popular tide. This whole "sticking to the guns" bullshit merely shows inflexibility. He is a parasite, but a dumb one. The best politicians are brilliant at changing colors, shedding their skins. That's what made Clinton such a genius. Because in the end they're all blood-sucking insects. It's just a matter of who plays the game (or us, voters) better. This team, despite its veterans, has failed to fool us.

slyboots2 said...

I guess that my history background gets me in all kinds of trouble. I have this image of politicians as gentlemen. With actual beliefs. A La Gladstone, et. al. People who really went to bat, and rose and fell through their beliefs (home rule, abolitionism, etc.). Pretty much a 19th century construct, I admit. But it is my ideological roots talkin and all. And I do see the errors of their ways too (nationalism, colonialism, etc.). But the civility of it all...and the fact that they did some enormous good along the way...

Ahhh- what am I doing- I'm talking total shit here. I admit it. They're all fucking frauds out to get attention and power. The shits. I just need to remind myself of watching Watergate unfold at my father's knee.