Wednesday, August 24, 2005

I am NOT your mother, kid!

Tonight I got the rare opportunity to see myself in someone else. I was on the phone with my Mom upstairs. We still haven't moved in, but we use both floors. The little girl from next door and her little friend rang the doorbell. I got off the phone and went over. They wanted to come in and play with the cats. Sure. And see all of our stuff.

History- the woman who lived here before let them pretty much have full run of the place. I am not interested in sharing that much of my private life with the neighborhood. Even though I like these kids a lot, I know what I'm dealing with. I was that kid. I went into as many homes in the neighborhood as I could access. I was nosy. I was loud. I was a general nuisance.

When I said no, not now, the littlest one said, "no fair! We want to!" I replied, "but it's my house, and I don't want you in here right now." It's all about the boundaries. It's funny- the first response that came to mind was, "but honey, life isn't fair." Thank God I bit that one back. I swore to myself years ago that I wouldn't ever, ever say that.

Spouse is chuckling to himself. He thinks it's very funny that I met my junior doppelganger. It's all about setting the right boundaries in my book. I feel pretty guilty about it though. The little girl did carve her name into the stainless steel on the refrigerator, though. So she does, indeed have destructive tendencies.

On another note- I'm too lazy to add another post. On the bus ride home I got to share the bus with a crazy guy. He was having a loud argument with his internal dialogue. He said, "I have Baby Jane in my belly button." "Thank you!" "YEAH!!!" "I'm not intimidated by you!"

Lucky me- if this guy was on the bus the first day I tried it out, I probably wouldn't have ever gone back. It was just that kind of experience. And this morning I got to sit next to a rude thug. So all in all a touchy, not feely kind of day. Gotta love those.

1 comment:

(S)wine said...

two things:
1. your past will always come back to bite you--usually in the form of kids.

2. Kids are here to ultimately replace us. We're on borrowed time.