Friday, May 25, 2007

Today it's all about the ME. You've been warned.

Just gotta brag about my fabulous connections. Seems I have a few very well placed friends out there. And some not so well placed friends, who are equally fabulous, but unable to score me tickets to last evening. (don't feel bad if you're one of the well-loved latter- I am just as happy doing other things- this was just something kind of special, as I'm sure you would agree)

We went to the Pacific Northwest Ballet center at 4:00. First there was a tour of the facilities, including the wardrobe and costume departments. Our tour guide was the founding member of one of the major biotech firms in Seattle, and loaded to the gills. He is also in love with dance.

We then got to eat, drink, and watch the white haired folks filter in for the main event. We met the (ahem) Maestro- who bears a remarkable similarity to Peter O'Toole, including the possibility of being a little rummy on occasion (the eyes and skin on his face give it away).

Then came the event itself. We got to sit in the front row and watch a practice session for the performance being staged next week. Basically it was a lap dance, with about 40 people working their asses off being graceful and lovely. Actually, this really doesn't express it well. It was amazing, and overwhelming. One of the pieces was a 35 minute solo to Rite of Spring. Absolutely punishing for the woman performing it. I did find it hard to follow after a while- mainly because I am just not used to live dance performance any more. She was one of only 5 people to have learned this particular piece, and only the 3rd to perform it live. The choreographer/performer who developed it and the 2nd person to dance it were both in attendance (no pressure for her, oh no).

Also we saw one of the choreographers who specializes in Balanchine assisting in rehearsals for a future production- one of those almost scary ensemble pieces where it's a miracle that no one runs into each other or kicks each other in the face as bodies hurl through space in patterns.

Anyway, we have another date for opening night- where we get to go to the special money happy lounge and hang with the elderly again. Seems the majority of donors are over the age of 90, and just plain geezy (or just silly rich and geezy).

My date for the evening even got the eye from one of the young (and pretty) dancer boys. He didn't even notice. It was funny as hell. No way that look was intended for the likes of me.

Like I said, some of my circles are pretty connected...some of the time...and some of the time they actually pick me. I am feeling good about this today- which is optimal, since I have an interview for a job at 10:00. Yes, and it's an internal thing. I might have a chance...

1 comment:

(S)wine said...

fantastic.
all around.