Sunday, May 20, 2007

Freaking myself the hizell out

There was a Discovery unsolved murder show on today that I happened across- it followed a Jack the Ripper special- and I am such a sucker for a Jack the Ripper show, don't you know.

It was all about the little girl who was killed in an apartment down the way from one we lived in when we first moved to AZ. What was disturbing, along with the fact that the case is unsolved, was the shots of the actual crime scene and interviews with the doofy maintenance man. He was similar in type to the next door neighbor in Office Space- "Hey Peterman..." and lived next door to us. There were some odd implications of the show- like that he might have been involved, or at least that his eyewitness information was dubious at best. Odd duck, that man, so no telling. Only I never, ever had a creepy vibe off of him. Never. It would totally shock me if he had been even remotely involved. Now telling tales that were short on truth and long on imagination, yea I can see that. But not actual killing.

But what this does dredge up is the other unsolved murder that I know about. Seems that my step-father's cousin was the first (and unproven, so to speak) victim of one of my uncle's best friends. The guy was convicted of murdering and burning up his wife when I was in high school. I met him, and he, unlike the doofy maintenance man, gave off some seriously icky vibes. Hair on the back of the neck at full attention, and all that. He was also a town legend. My science teacher told stories about his involvement in the murder of Pam. It was pretty much common knowledge that he was prime suspect, but it was unprovable. So when he was convicted, it was also common knowledge that his sentence reflected the rumors. Fucker gets to rot.

Then there was the chick who got her head lopped off right after we moved to AZ. I don't believe that one was ever solved either. We had nothing even remotely connected to her, but it was a scary story, and not cool to be in the same area.

Overall just creepy. Kbot watched the Tivoed version of the crime thingy and wasn't as creeped out. But I attribute part of that to not being a girl.

No comments: