Saturday, May 12, 2007

Happenings on the Farm

It is just an alternative universe. The calendar has everyone in town's birthdays printed on it. The central photo is the 5 kids graduating from the high school. There seems to be a definitive finite number of these. Kids, I mean. It's a tottering place- I can't judge if it's dying or not, just not very vibrant.
The newbies are from elsewhere- looking for retirement grounds. Not interested in making a sub-standard living- they've already done that elsewhere. Where the pickings are better.

The place revolves around gossip. And dropping in on your neighbors. No calling ahead. Just showing up. God forbid you are taking a nap. Or enjoying a nooner. Or just having quiet time. Get ready to discuss the fences, the weather, the town drunk, or just the time of day.

After several days I am ready to gouge my eardrums out with a sharp screwdriver. Because despite loving the inhabitants of this place, there is no romance there for me. Only the constrictions that I ran away from 20+ years ago. It's like being in a fiberglass cocoon. Prickly, itchy, hot and very uncomfortable.

But then Mom makes me cookies and pudding, and all is fine.

1 comment:

(S)wine said...

yes.
despite all the good things,
this sort of life
would kill me faster
than the usual.
i loathe gossip, too
(Bubbles, anyone? ha!)