Monday, May 28, 2007

Goodnight, sweet prince

Charles Nelson Reilly died. He was one of my favorite figures on "Match Game 76 (77, 78, etc)".

I would fake sick (mainly because I hated school- loathed it- despised it) and would stay home and read comic books, and watch daytime tv. Match Game and Let's Make a Deal topped the preferences list. Especially Match Game, because the stars were naughty sometimes. And I totally got it. And it beat the hell out of going to school, and dealing with my nasty little peers.

I also loved the Carol Burnett Show, but that's another thing, entirely. But I must interject that the Gone With the Wind sketch that they did still cracks me up. Because I am a very square old white woman.

But Charles. The first (after Paul Lynde) openly gay man on the tv...loved him. Loved him. Loved him. He was funny and fabulous. And I'm sad that he died.

2 comments:

(S)wine said...

loved the match game.
gene rayburn, brett somers, paul lynde...
i loved his guest appearance on one of the x-files, years ago, as some kooky writer.
oh and let's not forget his masterpiece: cannonball run...PART TWO!
yessss.

slyboots2 said...

Damn straight. I am tempted to watch reruns of Match Game on the game show channel, but think that it would mar the memories. And I would be disappointed. Same thing keeps me from visiting Disneyland as an adult.