Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Wrapping up

Allegedly my last day on the job is Friday. We've been through this before, however- and had a couple of extensions. Then it's a free-for-all when employers citywide discover that I'm free to be hired!

Yeah.

Anyhew, I was thinking about stuff. Cuz my job is anything but cerebral, doncha know. Scanning barcodes ain't what I use my schoolin on nohow. We watched the documentary about Henry Darger last night. Made me think. For those who are too lazy to look him up on Wikipedia, he was the obsessive/compulsive, possible nutcase who created tens of thousands of pages of an illustrated novel over the course of 60 years. His paintings were often over 10 feet long, on both sides of the paper. Impressive. We saw some similar stuff (in a way- which I'll explain) when we went to the Montreal modern art museum last summer. There's something universal about artists who have that kind of obsessive need to create - whether it's in paper and paint or it it's arranging bottle caps in a certain design, or cutting up puzzles to create new puzzles of amazing complexity and scale. It resonates with me- as I have a touch o the old ocd going on- thus am very good at my current job- counting and organizing data...yummy. But thing is, I get it. It makes me sad kinda when I see the Darger stuff- since it shows how very rich his internal life was, but how very impoverished his personal outside life was. I hope the other artists like him have it a little easier.

That's what I was thinking about today. That and my ongoing fantasy of driving the Nuhrburgring with Michael Schumacher in an Enzo Ferrarri. With his shirt off. Yummy. Indeed.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

For those who are too lazy to look him up on Wikipedia...

You know, there are these things called hyperlinks that can easily be created from within your blogger window. In case you're too lazy to click on the link, here's a quote from the aformentioned Wikipedia:

Hyperlinks are part of the foundation of the World Wide Web...

Good luck on the next job hunt. I personally hate looking for jobs and don't envy you a bit.

slyboots2 said...

Ok, Mr. Smartypants. Yeah, I worked in the web industry, and absorbed NOTHING codewise. Thus it is written. She shall remain in ingnorance, until he that knowith something and desirith her gratitude shall render her wise. Thanks, my friend.

cb said...

Yeah me too, and me neither.

Did you see the movie Crumb? It's similar but different, a documentary about R. Crumb, the guy who did the "Keep On Trucking" stuff (I know you remember).

Check it out.

"A modern day Broigal."

Anonymous said...

I liked the crazy brother and his shoe string

slyboots2 said...

Crumb rocked. Seriously. I enjoyed it quite a bit. Paul Giacametti (sp?-too lazy to imdb it right now) was supurb. I am a neeurd. Lovely sentiment. Embrace what you are. Glory and revel in it, and be the best at it that you can be. Neeurds unite!

cb said...

I think you mean harvey pekar movie "American Splendor."

Crumb is a documentary about R. Crumb and his well-adjusted brothers.

The same director also did "Ghost World" another comic/nerd classic.

slyboots2 said...

You are right! And I saw them both. But am too stoopid to remember...it's all such a blur. I loved Ghost World.

(S)wine said...

no need to explain who Crumb is.

I'm back, Sly! Finally found you again.

slyboots2 said...

Good to see you again! Looks from the time stamp like you're still the night owl of the organization. Glad you're back.

(S)wine said...

thank ye