Saturday, March 18, 2006

80's preoccupation

Did anyone else's parents buy a trash compacter in the 80's? It was THE appliance to get. My dad thought it was the best to blow up glass jars in there. My complaint was that eventually, someone (guess who?) had to haul the 75 lb bag of compressed crap to the alley. I tried a work-around one summer- I put the bag on the deck for a few days to see if it would go away on its own. But all I did was grow maggots underneath. It was probably one of the ickiest sights I can remember. So I didn't do it again. Even in winter- which was cold enough to put stuff like that outside and freeze it solid.

The other thing that was (and still is- really) fun was watching
dad put turkey bones down the garbage disposal. It sounds like a mini wood chipper. Last time we were home, he got all but 3 bones down there. There was a man with a mission. Indeed.

2 comments:

(S)wine said...

nope

slyboots2 said...

Bam goes the glass jars as they're crushed. And then Grind goes the bones in the sink...ah. The cacophany of home...