Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Entertainment

I did, however, watch a couple of Busby Berkely musicals this weekend. They both starred the amazing Joan Blondell. Dames (1934) was pretty cool. I made Kenga watch the production number at the end- some incredible special effects- especially when you realize that it's 19bloody34 (I don't know why I'm doing that tonight- annoying habit, I know. My blog, my rules.). I could live a long, happy life without Dick Powell, but was pleased by Joan. Also on the Tivo was Footlight Parade- also with Berkley dance numbers. And Joan. And Dick. But the real highlight for me was Jimmy Cagney- singing and dancing. I never really appreciated Cagney- he was good in White Heat (Made it, Ma! Top of the world!), but like I said- not that fond of him. Well, that changed. I couldn't take my eyes off of him when he was in a scene. I wasn't attracted in any particular way (like Cary Grant or William Powell, or even the young Jimmy Stewart or Gregory Peck), but he was arresting on camera and very fun to watch.
Anyhew, that's the movies that I can say are fun. Now I have some Fellini to dig through. And a Bergman. That one oughta be a pip. I'll have to save some 30's light comedies for after that.

No comments: