Sunday, April 30, 2006

Walmart Coda

Yeah- I'm still whining about the Walmart visit yesterday.

Sight that will live forever in the pantheon of things witnessed at the Walmart Store- the woman in the SUPER-sized Rascal who probably weighed over 700 lbs...wearing a blanket...buying bags of candy. That pretty much sums it all up for me.

And no- I'm not one of those "I hate poor people- they make me uneasy" types. I am one of those poor people who makes others uneasy types on occasion. Depends on the median income of the place I'm living. Helena- not poor. Bozeman- borderline, tilting towards poor. Seattle- poor as hell, with no hope of redemption. It's all in the way you look at it, right?

I just have an issue with the company as a whole. Not that they are hurting US businesses or anything by bringing in cheap Chinese crap to dump on the market- fuck that. It's the way they treat their legions of employees that makes me cold inside. The stereotypical Walmart checker in my experience is a hard-bitten, 40ish woman with deep frown lines etched on the sides of her mouth, permanent vertical smokers lines on her lips, and a raspy voice. She might call you "hon," or not, depending on how much shit she's had to cope with today. On a weekend, pretty much no "hons" get handed out. Fuck that. She gets paid far too little to deal with the place, and her benefits suck. Her feet hurt. And if she's unlucky enough, she works at one of the Walmarts that offers overtime off the clock or lose your job benefits. Pisses me off every time. Workers of the world UNITE!! We shall overcome!!! (practicing for the big rally tomorrow downtown, near where I work- oughta blow the commute home out of my ass and good.)

No comments: