Sunday, April 02, 2006

He feeds the cat a peanut. The cat sits and thinks about the peanut for a while. Then drops it on the bed.

The old man gently, gently soaps the little dog's back. The little dog shivers in the water. The old man's hands are gnarled like very old trees.

The man deftly puts the worm on the hook for the little girl. His hands are split and weather-beaten. He has used them to conquer the elements and build new worlds.

The man touches his daughter on the cheek, and kisses her hello. His long, elegant fingers are warm. His eyes- her eyes- smile.

The cat with the peanut makes a funny chirp. He smiles and laughs, and says, "kit-tens." And I smile with all my heart.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hola!

I recieved your jaquet today (I am revising the spelling of jacket, it is too "pedestrian." Next time I go to the fabric store I'll get something nice for the patches, and stitch it up. I'll probably be going to the fabric store later this week for work. It will look really snazzy! Thank you for the great book, too, I look forward to looking at it more thoroughly than I did today. I'll try to get it done when I get the jaquet done so I can send them back together! I hope all is well, keep me posted on yoru Law School Status at the various schools! I love you!

Love Andrea

(S)wine said...

very cool progression.
very cool.
makes me re-think certain structures.

slyboots2 said...

Thank you NW! Coming from you, that's pretty heady stuff. And just what I needed today.

And Andrea- I'll try to chat with you tonight, tonight- we'll catch up tonight!

Anonymous said...

Yuck! I hate lumps :(. Especially when served by Bibbi... They sure do know how to cook up icky lumps.