Friday, April 07, 2006

Throw back

We went to lunch the other day at Dad Watson's in Freemont. We like it there. While I was drinking lunch, and eating tater tots (which I regretted later- they make my tummy hurt badly), they were playing songs that I know the words to. Like the Police. And then they played the song. From when I was 15. It was the one I wore out on the record. Playing it over and over and over. It was one of the first ones I ripped on Napster back in the day. It is silly and stupid, and I know the words. Sentimental drivel, if you will. But it still takes me places.

Mandocello, by Cheap Trick- from their first album. Kenga thinks it's goofy. I gotta agree from this vantage point. It was probably their effort at getting laid a lot. Betcha it was successful.

I actually met Robin Zander in person once. They were in Missoula for a concert. He was kinda a tool, I thought at the time. Still think that, but understand the mitigating circumstances that could make someone act like a dick. It certainly wasn't personal- he was probably bored, tired, depressed at playing in Missoula, and I wasn't the chippy he wanted to talk to. He wanted to bang my friend. Admittedly, she was fucking gorgeous. She was also not impressed by a 40ish rock star. She had the something, something for the concert promoter. Who was an even bigger tool. I also had a boyfriend. The up to that date love of my life. And I never heard the end of it from him for going to the bar to meet Robin Zander. Even though I had chaperones- including a couple of his friends. Even though I invited him along. Shoulda seen trouble coming right then.

Ah but to be 15 again- in my room- listening to that song- hoping that love would be like that- hoping that I would find hearts and rainbows some day. Right. Well, I think I retract that right here and now. Nope. Wouldn't go back to being that kind of dumbass again. Not for love, money or patriotic duty. Stupid bar Ipod.

4 comments:

(S)wine said...

first of all--zander schmander. Bunny E. Carlos--greatest name in show biz.

second--at age 15 i was a shut-in listening to Floyd's "The Final Cut" and wondering from which direction that bullet was going to hit my cranium.

no hearts, no rainbows, no loves of my life. all hell all the time. teenage angst, yo. and then some.

but you knew that.

and you love it.

slyboots2 said...

Indeed. I didn't have my "Final Cut" period until college. And then it was minus the deep conviction of teenage angst. It was just the result of being drunk too often that semester.
I was too much the extrovert to remain the shut-in for very long. Probably thats what's killing me right now...

Anonymous said...

Hi sistah!

I am sorry I've missed your calls, I was out all evening last night, and we were out of town today (Fairmont Hot Springs!). But, I am going to call you sometime tommorow and see if you are available for a good chat. Youi've had a lot going on, and I want to hear about it all. Also, thank you for the book, I'm really enjoying what I have read in it. You are so sweet:). I'll talk to you tommorow, and you are in my thoughts!

Love Andrea

(S)wine said...

yea, stay in some more, already. we're tired of seein yo ugly mug. bastid.