Saturday, January 28, 2006

General stuff

I have 15 more days of the job. That's it. Then I can do something that maybe actually clicks into more than just my latent OCD.

It's raining heavily again- always makes me wonder if our house will slide down the hill. But since it's been here since 1911, and has a new foundation, circa 2004, not likely.

I've been using the light lamp that my mom gave me a year ago. I don't know if it makes a damned bit of difference, but I feel a little less like putting my head in an oven. But that could also be the effect of sleeping in and leisurely enjoying my tea.

Watched Eric Von Stroheim's Greed last night. Had to use the single fast forward feature on the Tivo control. Too fucking long otherwise. 4 hours to be exact. I don't think I could endure a 4 hour silent film in and of itself. I watched Birth of a Nation probably 15 years ago, and about died.Then, being a masochist, I watched Intolerance. Damn. I enjoy lots of the silents, but lack the patience to deal with any lonnnngggg movie- silent or otherwise. I can just see where edits could be made to make the story flow more concisely. But many of these directors have their egos intact, and don't see where their vision might be flawed by self-indulgence. Being told you're a genius seems to have this effect. Kinda like reading an Anne Rice novel- the early ones are pretty good- great plots, excellent character development, and they move along pretty nicely. But then came The Witching Hour. Damn. I would've cut at least 150 pages from that monstrosity. And reading her discussing her work was unbearable at that point. Every word was sacred. No editing was to be done by anyone but herself. Thus wasn't to be done at all. Damned shame, if you ask me. She could've used the discipline. There again, ego. But she's got the cash in the bank to show that she knows something about her fans. I just won't buy her books anymore- and sneak them out of the library with a strong sense of guilt. The kind of guilt inspired by sittting down to a Sara Lee pound cake and eating the whole thing in one sitting- alone. Not that I've ever done that...I promise!

No comments: