Thursday, September 01, 2005

And furthermore

From the Seattle Times comes the following commentary on the looting:

"That is the behavior people take under the pressure of survival," said Benigno Aguirre, professor in the department of sociology and criminal justice and the Disaster Research Center at the University of Delaware in Newark. "This is misconstrued as looting, as thievery."

In disaster, social norms shift, sociologists say. What may be considered criminal or unacceptable under ordinary circumstances becomes reasonable.

"Expectations and social agreements can be suspended ... because the situation is so dire," said Barbara Feldman, associate sociology professor at Seton Hall University in South Orange, N.J.

Yes, I took it from a longer article. But the main, unanswered question that I see above is whether or not they are referring only to food. In which case, yes, I agree. But if they're referring to the looting of luxury items, then I have an issue with their argument. I don't see that behavior under any circumstances, regardless of social position as being resonable. I think it's ugly and wrong. Period. Food and necessities- sure. Dvd players and tvs, nope. Human nature totally blows on occasion. Sadly, I don't have an answer, a cure or even a good suggestion on how to fix the problem. Nothing. nada.

No comments: