Thursday, June 05, 2008

Yesterday I attended a design forum at work. It was part of "training", if you will. I used the term loosely to describe what I was doing whilst on the company dime. But it was. It was interesting as hell. I saw the light and I saw the darkness.

For those of you in the know, design plays a large role in my life. Not directly- that was art, and it has effectively been abandoned- more for sanity's sake than anything else. I can go into that saga and the decisions related to it later. But this was design. And whether or not it exists in my world. Not really in my immediate world- those are a whole different cadre of people.

What I saw was one group of designers with an actual philosophy and call to action. I want Kman to be part of this. Funny- I had contacted the lead of this group several months ago to get a meeting with Kman on the calendar- but the position had been filled. Now I am more intent on being Lady Macbeth and getting the man in to see the other man. I suspect that there will be a colossal bang, as the minds meet and they get their design philosophy groove on. And that would make me rejoice. That was the light. The dark was another presentation that I suffered through. It was the worst that design has to offer. Sheer style over substance. It was all about creating objects just because they look nice. Not because they can change the world for the better, or they can change the paradigm, or they can do something amazing. All about the pretty factor. Design as fashion, so to speak. Which always pisses me off. What a fucking waste of energy and effort. Just like dealing with those shallow souls who really think that it's important to focus on handbags. They are nice. I am a girl. I get it. But seriously, would you want that to be the definition of your life's work? A fucking handbag? Seriously???

Ah, this is the first time, I have just realized, that I have exposed the design snob in me. Enjoy, all of you. And argue with me if you want. But it's just such a deeply held feeling. Art is one thing, and that is where I lump fashion. Design is something else, entirely. In the absence of true religion in my life, I think that my philosophy of design/art/history kind of stands in. I don't know what that makes me, besides borderline batshit, no doubt.

But it was a good day. Light and darkness combined. Oh, and I took notes. Copious notes.

3 comments:

kim wells said...

My hubby & I once pitched this really cool idea for a computer game to a couple of software types. It's a REALLY cool idea, but we have no idea how to design game stuff, not even the barest fragment of a guess. And these folks, who are very smart 3D graphics type people were like, "Duh, the technology should rule the story". NO!!!! That's how we get things like that damn movie where they focused on how her hair rendered, and the story was awful (what was that called... I can't remember...) And why things with no technology at all are funny/smart/ great!

Anyway. Design IS very important, oh yeah. But there are no handbags that I would ever pay more than 30 bucks for.

Anonymous said...

in my other (or upcoming) life i think i was (or want to be/will be) an architect.

i, too, don't care much for fashion design, or video game (sorry Dr.) type stuff, which, for me is just a ga-ga way of disconnecting (whatever happened to the art of contemplation?? everything is about information now, being fed to you, even in order to disconnect, but i'm off on a tangent)...but architecture and design....now you're talking.

slyboots2 said...

I don't consider fashion to really be design in the strictest sense. Ditto game design- that's a hybrid of a bunch of things- both are probably more akin to multimedia art.

But product design when given one of those amazingly complex problems (like for example, a bloodless catheter system that is safer for nurses and patients alike), and design can work miracles. That is what gets me excited. Interfaces that make technology approachable to real human beings- same story. It kind of takes that sort of issue.

I don't give a rat's ass if a mouse /keyboard combo is blue. Fuck that shit. That is styling. That is disposable. That solves nothing that is real and important.