Friday, June 13, 2008

Been silent all week. I know. It was busy. Busy good and busy bad. Work and life.

So, upshot- things are just fine.

Yesterday, the big event that made it more than fine- I attended a Salman Rushdie reading. It was at Elliot Bay Books in downtown Seattle- which made it logistically not so fun, but there wasn't much traffic at lunch so it wasn't as painful as it could've been. I got there very early, as I suspected that there might be plenty. And there were. I got an amazing seat within the sea of white hairs (appears that the retiree demo was fully represented), and waited.

Now for the upshot. I have attended lots of readings. Gobs and gobs of them. And discussed a few here. But this one was special. It was one of the literary gods speaking. And it was really obvious. Not that he was pretentious. Not at all. But it was a level that I am not normally sitting 5 feet away from. And not in the basement of a book store. And not on creaky wooden chairs. Usually I am exposed to people like that in large venues or in my living room on the tv (where HD is unkind). He read with a voice that I hope I continue to hear in my head when I read the book. He then answered questions with more grace and finesse than I thought possible. Several of the people present were obviously star-struck (yes, I kept my mouth firmly shut, as would've made an ass of myself, fur sure), and not horribly eloquent. He was kind to them, and answered what was most likely their question. And he was funny. And interesting. If you ever want a few pithy and amusing anecdotes about having a fatwah on your ass, ask him. He will tell you.

Then we had the signing. I was third in line, because I can cut through a crowd like a warm knife through butter. It is one of my super hero talents. The girl in line behind me commented that she followed me to the line because I walked with such authority. Ah, smoke and mirrors are my friends!

I wished the man a happy birthday next week (I am creepy like that, but we do share a birthday), and got my book signed and went back to work.

All good. The sun was shining when I left the bookstore. The first time in days. It was appropriate as I crossed the water and headed towards job. Rolled down the window, cranked the stereo and felt all nice.

And there you have it. The highlight. No need to discuss the lowlight- that was Monday, and it has been resolved. Might post about it later, but don't want to dilute my happy item.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

perfect.
i beg you to let me adopt the phrase: "don't piss me off, or i'm a put a fatwah on yo' ass"

kim wells said...

AH that would be cool. Lessee, who is the best/most famous author I've met? mmmmmmmmmm...... Cisneros? Adrienne Rich? Gary Snyder? Gary's the one I've talked most with, having given him a ride to San Antonio. :)

My students always think I'm fibbing, I think, when I tell how many authors I've met.

slyboots2 said...

Oh, please do use fatwah in an ordinary way, it would be good. And you would get the additional pleasure of explaining what it means. Just like I had the pleasure of explaining to all but one person at work who Salman Rushdie is. Sigh....The blank stares, and the "who?" Philistines.

And I would pay very good money to give him a ride to San Antonio. I can only imagine the conversation.