Saturday, June 14, 2008

Some call him Tim...

I didn't know him. Never had that opportunity, and given that I don't fly in those circles, never would.
But I watched. And I enjoyed. And I have to think that it wasn't from a purely entertainment valuation that I appreciated the man.
Because I believe that he followed the news from the passionate standpoint of watching history as it was made. Within context and all. Thus making his analysis relevant.
I hated seeing all of their stoic, tired faces on the news last night. I didn't want them to weep and wail, but I didn't want them to remain so apparently indifferent, either. But that is their profession, and that is the elegy that they can offer. It is their job.
I hated to think of the person who, with shaking fingers and teary eyes, had to write the copy that went out to the world first. Who had to program the headline that he had died onto the website. Who had to put aside the feelings and just state the facts.
Sometimes it must really suck to do that for a living.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

a good man was lost.
also, i'm sick of the round the clock coverage...exactly what he would have loathed.