Monday, June 25, 2007

Once upon a time, I thought that carpe diem was profound. I thought that the idea of being in charge of destiny was possible. I just had no bloody clue.

Then I learned about things. That the body can betray, and make all the planning in the world obsolete. That events occur that are unplanned, and that change decisions in an instant. That people can bollux up the best laid agendas with their competing agendas. That control is an illusion that causes more grief than good.

Then I started taking Latin and fell in love. All in an instant. And life was changed for me forever. Because of that Latin/love combination. Not what I planned at all. It changed the plans that were in progress. It was a ride that had no precedent. But I do remember plenty of Latin catch phrases. I just wouldn't live my live via their wisdom. There are also plenty of feeble attempts to wrest control that still occur. But they are becoming more infrequent.

I should consider myself lucky to have basic bowel control, control over my desire to shout obscenities at inappropriate times, and contrived control over what I write on the page. All else has devolved into an elaborate crapshoot with ever-changing rules and characters.

But isn't it fun???

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Carpe Diem is profound, just in another way. Control is an illusion - even bowel control. There's no one there to control anything. Let go of this illusion and those fantasies that pass for plans, and what's left? The present moment - with all the beauty and terror and banality that comes with it.

(S)wine said...

seize the day my ass.
as an insomniac of 16 years, i would like to seize the f-ing night.
to SLEEP.

slyboots2 said...

I am currently of the opinion that the majority of life happens to you, rather than the other way around. Which makes me wonder if the prized historical figures figured out a work-around for that, and thus ensured immortality. Or immorality. Whatever.