Monday, June 18, 2007

Ah, it's always creaky after a weekend of not writing. Nothing particular comes to mind. Probably because there are no real crises. And the tension has pretty much dissipated.

So, one more Monday after today. Then it is done. For now. And the hunt begins again. But all of my friends are telling me to relax. Not to panic. They don't necessarily understand though- not many of them were around during the lean years. Yes, years, for those with short memories. And I really don't care to fill them in- it's kind of a downer. So the fight is to keep from sounding desperate. And there you have it.

And the training? Well, it's as bad as I expected. What with the coaching required on the fundamental software tools that were supposed to be a given, and the repeated questions, I just cannot see how this person will be ready to take over by the end of the week. And I am expecting to hand all over by then to give her a dry run while I'm still in the house. I am looping in a friend in the department to evaluate, and to assist- so no one can accuse me of torpedoing this poor sap. But I was telling my mother about it, and basically training this one is like trying to teach my Mom how to do my job. Only my Mom would never want to do my job. And this other one was supposed to come with the parts all included to simply drop into the position and leave. Now I'm getting all pissy about it. But my biggest fear isn't that she'll fail. It's that I will get blamed when she does. So it's the game of CYA. And I think I can handle that. But hate to play.

No comments: