Monday, April 02, 2007

Saddest gladdest

Saddest thing of the day=

At the Dr.'s office, witnessing a batshit retarded girl singing a song about blood antibodies (impressed with her vocabulary, yes), and the pledge of allegiance- onward and upward, endless looping in of her own private Idahoan language- kept up the babble long after I left the room- kept a steady gaze on the magazine in my lap- because crazy is contagious- and she placed extra magazines on the table next to me in an attempt to gain attention- and I squirmed inside- ashamed of ignoring her, but afraid of engaging her. Not wanting to get involved.

Gladdest thing of the day= wine + sunshine after work. No more, no less. Kitties were enjoying squirrel tv out the back window, and I sat. And did resolutely nothing. For a while.

4 comments:

(S)wine said...

ah now, you've missed a perfectly good opportunity.
shame.

Bwana said...

You have to have the emotional ammo at the moment it occurs to interact with "challenged" people. Unless it's a family member, or you feel particularly ready for it, there is no reason you need feel guiltyabout 'paying due attention'. I'm sure their family member/care giver would understand that.

We are only as great as we manage on any given day.

bedmonster said...

I say don't sweat it. She won't remember. You probably will, but only because you'll make yourself. ;)

Your after work experience sounds LOVELY, though. Very, very nice. Might have to recreate that in my own home this evening... BTW, I think we're largely free this weekend, if you guys are...

slyboots2 said...

I suppose I could've taken her home. But she was scary. And obviously off of her meds. Kind of like the guy on the bus yelling at his bellybutton. Entertaining, yes. But not in an intimate, go out to coffee and chat kind of way. Kind of in a witnessing crazy time and being relieved to get away kind of way.

Too early for wine. Dammit anyway...