Friday, April 13, 2007

Weighing in

Not like anyone really wants my opinion on this, but I feel compelled. And why the hell not? After all, I am the boss hereabouts.

So. About this Don Imus thing. Contemptible man. I have that total Jimmy the Greek feeling. If you don't remember old Jimmy, go to Wikepedia and look him up. I don't feel like rehashing. Nevertheless. Don Imus. Fucking idiot.
I was listening to a pundit on NPR discussing the cultural issues- and he made a comment about the free ride given by rap artists who speak about the ladies like that. And he said that it's a shame. I agree. But I would take this exception to his argument. Imus is different from the rappers in one HUGE area. He attacked, in a nasty and evil spirited way, a group of women- individuals. He called them ugly. He was just rude. Not that that is unusual. But he finally got called out for it. Because the times, they are definitely sensitive. And skins just aren't as thick as they needed to be and generally were back in the day. And this is probably for the better in some ways, and for the worse in others. But I digress.
Rappers are offensive. But they don't usually target specific individuals for their poison. Unless you're talking about Marshall Mathers. But then it's mainly his wife/ex-wife/wife/ex-wife...and she's fair game- he probably knows what he's talking about. I just think that the argument lumping them all together has some pretty apparent holes when pulled apart.
And I feel like arguing, for some reason. Maybe that should be a new Friday feature. Argument Fridays. Sounds like a real hootenanny.
I just wonder what some of the other countries think about the kerfluffle about this event. Just out of curiosity. Betcha Britain is bewildered. Seems to me that those kinds of things get said over there with some frequency. I dunno though. Probably talking out of my ass again- that's another feature on Friday. Maybe. Ass talking Fridays. That's an attractive visual. And with that, I have to go. Try the veal. We'll be here all week.

4 comments:

(S)wine said...

ahhh, the edge. this stupid "edge" that shock-jocks are supposed to be riding. oh, the complicated balance of it all. my heart doesn't bleed for Imus (or anyone like that)--especially after 30 years of pulling the same ol' shite, and making bank for it. He's sixty-something; he's all set. He won't have to work ever. But he will. On satellite radio. So it's ok. He won't have his audience; but he'll swing a good contract for a year or two more out of Sirius or whatever it's called--the other one. XM. you make a good point about rappers not really attacking anyone in particular vs. Imus' thing. and the Eminem thing is so individual and personal that they'll be going back - n - forth in courts w/slandering, etc....so that is TOO focused. He's got his own problems personally w/Kim, and Kim won't ever take him down from his audience. to me, the Eminem thing is like watching Jerry Springer. People will pay to see that ongoing soap. or buy his music. it wouldn't surprise me a bit if it's all contrived anyway; the genius artist knows how to keep himself/herself in the spotlight in this age of watered down water, and he/she needs accomplices. Marshall and Kim: laughing all the way to the bank. Matalin and CArville...same thing. i like the idea of ass-talking on Fridays. that's what this comment is. by the way, the veal is phenomenal. so tender. i suggest a hearty cabernet to go w/it. or a bottle of bleach. you know, to end it all after a good meal.

slyboots2 said...

Amen brotha.

And your post today- I am taking it kind of personally. In a very good way. Probably not meant that way, but I choose to delude myself. Only for today. I'll wear the rose colored glasses for just this once.

(S)wine said...

the best posts
(IMHO)
are those that are elastic
and can be tailor-made
for the readers
no?

slyboots2 said...

Indeed. Like I've said on many occasions- you do rock the house, sir.