Wednesday, January 17, 2007

The snow is melting

And last night we saw David Lynch. At a reading for his new book. It was a birthday present for Kboy. Because they share a birthday, doncha know. Also with Fellini- even though Fellini doesn't have birthdays anymore. Because he's DEAD.

The crowd was a tad skeevy. Some really disturbing individuals showed up, along with the requesite Seattle hipsters, and some just oddly normal looking folks.

Lynch himself looked kind of shrimpy. But not once he started to talk- with his hands fluttering around like birds in flight. Sounds silly, but was much more lyrical when combined with what he was saying and his geezer-gravel voice (reminded me of men from home). He was kind to all. And I felt like given what he had been saying, he is a pretty well-adjusted kind of guy.

The main gist of the whole thing was a Q & A about his career and about Transcendental Meditation- which was the main topic of the book. Overall, he tied it all together well, without sounding like a wing nut- it's always kind of cringeworthy to listen to people discuss their spiritual beliefs if they don't strike the perfect tone. This was more tied to creativity, which made it less...difficult to access. Personal process is one thing, it's another entirely to prosletize.

The final question of the night came from a boy in a trench coat. Both of us (without speaking about it) were prepared to take him down- he had that distinct possible shotgun in the lining vibe. He really, really NEEDED to ask Lynch about happiness/sadness and TM. He cut in line. The others let him. When he turned around, he was probably 20 years old and looked like he hadn't slept in weeks. Just agony. Lynch gave him one of the most compassionate and completely rational answers possible, and hopefully shot the poor kid a lifeline. And no Chapman episode occurred.

The first question of the night came from a girl who looked 12. But we found out later that she is 19. Just creepy in that non-socialized home-schooly way that some people who need a little more contact with the world are. She was there with her skeevy little dad. All in beige (him), she was dressed like a circa 1989 piano teacher at a recital. She was tiny. She had a present for Lynch. We didn't stay to watch her give it to him.

Got the book signed. And drum roll- got the answer to an urban Missoula legend.


NO- David Lynch did not ever live in the Wilma building.

There.

Happy Birthday.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's awesome. I would have enjoyed being there. I'm halfway through that book and really dig it. Of course you would expect that from someone who has certainly produced some cringeworthy statements.

And Happy Birthday to K-bot.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday K-wrahwrah!

Well, I didn't know that was an Urban Legend, but now I know the answer if anyone ever brings it up, haha!

So, I will mail that to you at your current address. I, for some reason, thought you were moving sooner. Stupid me..stupid! stupid! (bangs head against wall....ouch)

I miss you, sunshine and lightness of my life. Adieu, sweet one.

slyboots2 said...

Aw- now really Sean- I've never accused you of making me cringe. Funny though- I did think about you when I was there. Just the kind of thing that you, Kbot, Jacob, et. al. used to discuss. Creativity, etc. Very cool.

And Andrea- adieu to you too. You little rock star!

(S)wine said...

what a cool story.
beats mine from last night.
just read about lynch and TM last week in the NY Times.
but you know, i've always loved him.
eraserhead blew my mind.
he's working on a new project (film), which, i believe he's financing. it's all on digital, i believe.
but yea...the TM book.
upload a picture of the autograph, if you can.
very cool.

slyboots2 said...

I'll do that this weekend, promise. Scouts honor. I would also like to share more of the evening, but lack the energy tonight.

Stay tuned. In any sense of the word you can come up with.

(S)wine said...

check out my link, off your page.
sweet-ness!

slyboots2 said...

Ok- that I do not get. I have cut/pasted and republished and get the same damned thing. Did you gremlin my blog dude? In some kind of quest for anonymity?

If so, please stop it...I am confused enough without this....damn.

(S)wine said...

you see now why i hate code? and? we're all supposed to switch to XHTML soon. as in, yesterday. lemme say this one more time: I HATE CODE (present employer: are you listening? stop making me switch shite around on the website--I ain't your man).

ESN-TNS said...

lynch is from montana that's why he reminded you of home. he also hasn't made something I liked since twin peaks: fire walk with me

slyboots2 said...

I'm curious about this Inland Empire movie he just premiered out here last week.

And the second season of Twin Peaks is coming out on DVD in April! THAT makes me one happy girl, I gotta say.