Monday, January 15, 2007

2:27

I am showing jewelry in the dimly lit store to Grandma and another old lady. She is fascinated by a jewel encrusted ruby cameo (like such a thing exists), and puts it in her pocket. I am playing with a frosted ruby articulated raspberry. It fits on the end of my finger. It reminds me of ...something.

I look for a light switch- the light should be brazen and loud in a jewelry store. It must sparkle.

I ask the lady to the left of Grandma to get the cameo out of her pocket for me. "Give me the pretty lady." I put it back in the case and slide the door shut. I am waiting for my mom to come and don't know where she is.

Then I look at Grandma. Her eyes get funny. I hear the crescendo from A Day in the Life (the original version)- cue the orchestra- DUM...dum.....buzzz... And see her slump against the glass. Her face is pressed into the side of the case. She has had a stroke. It's very bad. I panic.

I run towards the back of the store, and see mom on the phone. She waves me away with a casual irritation that enrages me. I tell her Grandma had a stroke. She says, "finally." Sighs and hangs up the phone.

It's 2:27.

2 comments:

(S)wine said...

ouch!
the callousness, the callousness...

slyboots2 said...

That's what was jarring enough to wake me up. And then I cried. And then I went to sleep again. Kind of.