Tuesday, July 31, 2007

So the sun is shining here for about the 3rd day in a row. It's hard to know how to process all of this vitamin D. It's hard to take for granted that it'll be sufficiently light outside tomorrow. And maybe even the next day.

So this place might possibly be getting to me.

Back home there are fires. I watch from afar, with concern, online. The ranch is close to one. They are too old to make a last stand in the yard with mudflaps attached to a stick. They are too old to really deal with packing the truck and the Forester with their favorite things and running. They are too old for this shit, period.

The fires are supposed to burn until September. Then it will snow.

That's where I am supposed to be. The place where I suffer from a sinus infection from the smoke all summer. The place where my lips crack within 24 hours of re-entry from the lack of humidity. The place where they are. The place where my worry lives.

3 comments:

zombieswan said...

Probably anyone is after one time of this, too old for this kind of thing. I don't know exactly where your fires are burning, since I've been disconnected from cable TV for a freakin' month now (no TV access arrrrrrgh!) but I hope it stays away from your home front. I'll be hoping for you. Where my family lives it's coming up on hurricaine season, so that's a fun worry, too. Fall, with all its natural disasters.

(S)wine said...

looking forward to hurricane season, here too.

sly, your description of home matches that of bosch's visions and paintings.

slyboots2 said...

Ah. Just look on the map- anywhere in the mountainous regions of Montana there are fires- theirs is close to Great Falls/Helena. And bad.

Bosch would be about right, only with more clothing- it gets chilly at night.