Sunday, March 09, 2008

Was contemplating aging. Mainly because it's kind of what is going on for me. Whether I admit it or not.

So, regrets. Basically the only one I use to pummel myself at this point is that I was SUCH a dumbass for so long. It took me eons to get my shit together. And I could've accomplished so damned much if I had been more together earlier. And don't tell me that it isn't too late. That's not the point. Of course I am still alive, and have this opportunity, etc., etc.

I still regret time lost. Time wasted. And I AM the judge of that. No one else is quite as qualified. It really bugs the hell out of me.

Years, really. Of fruitless flinging myself at problems that were never mine to solve. Of aching over things that didn't belong to me. Of wanting certain relationships to be far richer than they could ever be, for reasons beyond my control. Of suffering under the illusion that I had any real control of elements beyond myself. Of being far too keyed up for my own good. Of being a general busybody, while neglecting my own shit. Of not understanding fully the ramifications of choices I made on a whim and a prayer. Of confusing reaction with choice. Of confusing emotion with reason.

I'm pretty sure I can make the list a hell of a lot longer. But I think you get it. I sure do. But the good news is that I think I have more of a handle on it all than I ever had before. Not to claim some kind of superiority or implacable sense of emotional maturity- but I do think I have more of a sense of clarity. And deliberation. And just plain confidence in my ability to parse it out.

But hell. Bloody hell. What a lot of wasted motion. And emotion. And time. That's the kicker, eh?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

ah, yes. lucidity.
it always seems to come so late.
i think you'll find yourself in the same boat as a lot of others, with this one.
i, certainly, can empathize.
(and commiserate)

slyboots2 said...

Crikey, I am not going to claim lucidity at this late date- maybe a glimpse of it here and there. But no, I'm not the Dalai Lama. Just can say that perspective was hard won, and long sought. And even that comes and goes like one of those crappy tvs with the rabbit ear antennas.

zombieswan said...

Aging does suck, but I always say consider the alternative, and aging is something I can get on board with. Definitely.

zombieswan said...

I mean, the only alternative other than becoming a vampire, which doesn't look very likely. And now, I'm old enough that even if I were a vampire, I wouldn't get that hot young vamp body but a middle aged one. Or do you go to your ideal state when you vamp? It depends on which vampires we're discussing, I guess. Brad Pitt. mmmmmm. Tasty.

Anonymous said...

how in hell did this morph into a vampire conversation?

aging rocks, by the way...i look forward to deteriorating (hopefully quickly and without too much chronic pain, although i have my old standby plan which involves a beautiful, shiny Luger).

zombieswan said...

And/or Brad Pitt.

Vampires. Mmmmmm. Brad.....