Friday, February 08, 2008

I was just sharing in another forum. And what I disclosed is that for some reason (which I can guess), I have emerged as tech geek sugar. Now this is really, really funny. The cool side effect? I can get help desk geeks to assist in person when I ask the right one. If, for example, I IM my main tech guy and start making BBC America references, specifically about Top Gear, and if I start quoting Jeremy Clarkson, he is mine for the taking. It is a really cool superpower.

But only if used in small doses. I made the mistake of being overly (by his estimation) friendly to a tech geek in another building that I was in. He made very inappropriate comments after that. All because I said "Good Morning." Too much for him to handle, I guess.

I had a training class where I was one of only 3 women in the class. And boy, the ratio of tecchie to marketing/sales type was about 3:1. And I was very popular. It was cool. Until I realized that none of these fellows were a) my type, b) overly concerned about hygiene or clothing in general, and c) well socialized. Not to mention the whole I am married thing. But it's nice to dangle out there when Kman gets in a mood- hey, pal. I have options, don't you know! And they have some mighty earning power hereabouts. They can afford a Segway! (one of them does ride one in my neighborhood- he wears a gold bike helmet, lord help us all). Or a Prius. Or a really rockin gaming system. Heh.

And he responds with, "I'm not stoppin you." Which basically ends the discussion. Because I am stopping me. For all the right reasons. So, be free little tecchie boys! Be free. You will find her out there- somewhere....and she won't be me.

4 comments:

zombieswan said...

Yes, it is fun being a goddess, even if it is a goddess for less than godly people. :) A friend of mine used to call me a PILF. (P being for Professor).

Right now, post twins, I am not too much in the "ILF" category for anyone who doesn't already LURVE me. But one day. :) And I still get googly eyes from a few of my students, nevertheless. I don't know if they know of no other way to interact with females than to flirt or if they actually have a little crush. But it's kinda fun, as long as one doesn't let it go to one's head.

slyboots2 said...

I made the abysmal mistake of announcing to a co-worker (while in my cups, of course) that I am aspiring to be an ILF. Thus the working out. He was very nice about it, and didn't report me to HR.

But yes, perspective is good- as is realizing that some of those boys are using it as a form of manipulation if allowed. So there you have it!

Anonymous said...

i have no idea what you all have said.

slyboots2 said...

Probably for the best. We can take it offline, if you want to be all edumacated on this, but I suspect you'll think it's kind of silly.