Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Where I been?

Ah, boys and girls. I have a tale to tell.

Jury duty.

Two glorious days spent at the Superior court of Seattle. Waiting to be rejected. Hoping for said rejection. Because I didn't want to be on the sexual predator case for 4 weeks. And then I didn't want to be on the bookshop shoplifter case for a week. And then I just wanted to go home. And work...because it was all still there in the background.

I buried myself in books. Because I just didn't have the energy to do my usual pan and scan of the crowd. Too many of them. Good cross section, though. Wing dingers mixed in with solid professional types.

Still. I would come home and work for several hours. And it has kind of sapped me. That's all really.

So it's also Halloween. And I have given up, officially. Just can't muster the energy to care. We bought candy. What more do you want? I'll do my best not to invoke the dead at midnight, and call it good if they don't answer in the morning. We'll let them rest. Love them, leave them alone. At least for tonight.

Work is full of Halloween goodness- one of the co-workers is heartily obsessed. Good for her, I say. I was supposed to help, but was unavoidably detained by the state of Washington. The bastards. I had better things to do. Like hang cobwebs. Should've put that on my affidavit. If I tried really hard, I could've been a convincing wing nut. There was one memorable one who either was stupendously brilliant, or really, really crazy. And I loved him for it. Made for some entertaining moments. I'll explain more later- too busy complaining right now. Gotta go to work. And enjoy Halloween by osmosis.

And outside right now- fog. How fitting. And how unusual.

3 comments:

zombieswan said...

I've never had jury duty. The two (I think two) times I was called for it, I asked if I could come later cause I had to teach at 8 am, and so they just said "no, but we'll let you do it another time." Then nothing.

I actually kinda wish I could do it, but now I'm out of state. So I guess that would be a good excuse. Being out of state. I doubt I'd get chosen. I don't think they like people with as much college as I have, afraid I'll try to influence the group too much.

If your mind is *too* open, just any old thing might fall in or out. :)

(S)wine said...

i got rejected once from jury duty.
(i bet that comes as a big surprise).

you did better than me.
i bought no candy, turned off all the lights, and watched "Knocked Up."

and i didn't realize how much i would miss being with/seeing my daughter. it was a brutal night. not looking forward to xmas. i have her for Thanksgiving though.

slyboots2 said...

So sorry about the Halloween blues, Alex. That really does suck.

I am just thankful that there is no candy in the house. Because when I get sick, the first thing I want is stuff with lots of sugar to pep me up and make me feel better- for all of 5 minutes. Then I feel worse. Then I need sugar to feel better. Then I feel worse. Is the cycle beginning to make sense yet??? Thus I go to the gym 5 times per week and count my calories diligently. And feel like a whiney baby today.