Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Once again, I can only say that I am in awe of people who pull off the parent act. We had toddlers in the house this weekend. Two of them. Love them. They are noisy. Love them. They are busy. Love them. Glad they went home.

Last night went to a reading by Ursula LeGuin. With friends. It was good. But the chair made my back hurt and I didn't feel like waiting in line for a signed copy of the book so I took off.

And had a magnificent drive home. No traffic. The push of the accelerator under my foot. The lights of the city at night. The buildings towering over the Interstate. The lake with all of the expensive houses on the shoreline. REM singing about ending the world, and being just fine. If you ever doubt, by the way, that they are one of the best bands ever, listen to the drum line of Finest Worksong. And then we'll talk. Or the bass beat to basically any of their songs.

Got home, went to bed. Now it's time to face music again. And so it goes.

4 comments:

(S)wine said...

regarding Finest:
the version with or without the brass?

slyboots2 said...

I'm a sucker for the horns. Call it too much exposure to Phil Spector as a child.

zombieswan said...

Ursula LeGuin: AHHHHHH!!! Jealousy Jealousy Jealousy rears it's green eyed self. I am now insanely jealous.

Granted, I've seen readings by some fab writers. Gave a hug to Gary Snyder once. But I would love to see LeGuin, one of my favorite authors. This year (2008) dammit, I AM going to get to WisCon. Dammit. The only conference/con I know of that ACTUALLY PROVIDES CHILD CARE.

Anyway. Jealous of you a lot.

And at least the music you'll face will have a rockin' baseline.

(S)wine said...

i love the horns too.