Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Number 3- starting my life of crime

When I was in first grade, I didn't even think twice about stealing. I wanted something, so I took it. I would typically put the purloined item in my lunchbox, and take it home.

Then I got caught. It had been a banner day. I had a lunchbox crammed with stolen items- it was actually bulging at the sides (stupid soft-side lunchbox with the mushroom design on it- grandparents were too uncool to spring for the metal super-hero box). It was really kind of obvious in retrospect.

There was an unveiling before the classroom. Imagine the mortification, as when it was opened on my desk, all of the items sprang forth. I was dragged into the hallway by my teacher, where she threatened to take me to the principal's office. This was back in the day of thrashing for felonies. I cried. I remember the fear. She relented. She made me promise to never steal again.

I really wish that I had kept that promise...

4 comments:

Bwana said...

DId something similar as a kid. Took from the war chest that was mine father's. Pretended not to know it was his money. Duh. Where else would it come from.

Denial ain't no river in Egypt.

Bwana said...

OH, I finally did my animal thang.

(S)wine said...

oh shit...please.
i STILL clip things here and there.
ah well...fuck it.
i'll never learn.

slyboots2 said...

Yeah- well it's been a long time since I've done it. And I don't feel guilty about every little thing...just a couple. I think it's cuz I'm the daughter of a retailer.