Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Newly minted obsession

This week it's the classic Western. I've steadfastly avoided the genre in the past- lived in the west, didn't see much to celebrate about it- hated seeing the blasted Charlie Russell exhibit in place of real art every year- hated the faux cowboys I went to school with- they were such narrow-minded little bigots.

But then I guilted myself into seeing High Noon. And my world went all haywire. Now I saw that the really skillful filmmakers in the genre were making all kinds of statements via the Western. Ahhhhh.....

So last night we watched The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence. Still not as satisfying as any of the vengeance instilled Clint Eastwood ones, but pretty fun nonetheless. I love watching Jimmy Stewart act with people who could hold their own with him. John Wayne isn't my favorite actor by a long shot, but he's well used in this one. And I liked the civil rights subtext.

So. I have The Ox Bow Incedent cued up on the tivo, and will likely get through that one today. Henry Fonda said it was his favorite of his movies, as I recall. He was kind of a jerk, so whatever, Henry. But it also stars Frank Morgan, and I liked him while growing up on MASH.

I'm trying to figure out what genre to attach to next if this unemployment thingy goes on too long- maybe the musical? (fucking shoot me if that happens- I really hate musicals...with the exceptions of Sound of Music and My Fair Lady. Oh and Fiddler on the Roof...damn...maybe I don't really really hate them after all...)

4 comments:

slyboots2 said...

Crap. And Moulin Rouge. There's another of the damned things...

(S)wine said...

you've lost me on the western thing.

my current fave is: film noir, preferably w/Bogey in it. TMC ran "The Big Sleep" the other night. Brilliant!

slyboots2 said...

Well- I was raised on the whole myth o' the west thing. I avoided it wholeheartedly until now. And now, well, let's just call it curiosity tinged with a touch of nostalgia. I'm seeing the firmaments of my youth being scattered and torn down. Call it progress. Whatever. But I can identify with these movies in the most troubling way.

Double Indemnity and Sunset Boulevard are my favorite noir classics. Nothing like dad from My Three Sons getting all up in Barbara Stanwyck's shit!

(S)wine said...

first saw Sunset in film school.
loved it then.
adore it now.
just recently saw Indemnity.
loves me the old fiLLLLLms.