Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Fact of the day

If this doesn't creep you out a tad, you're sterner stuff than I.

Did you know that Helen Keller had her eyes removed and replaced with glass ones because her real eyes were scary? And when she became a celebrity, it was an issue? EWWWWW!!!

Better than botox, baby!

Also- new book to check out one and all- if you like something interesting- just stayed up til 2:00AM finishing it- because I had to.

The Wilderness, by Karen Novak. I'll probably be inflicting it on choice people on my Christmas list this year. So if you do buy it, or read it before I go shopping, let me know, or you might get a duplicate copy!!!

I also finished The Codex, by Lev Grossman. Fun, but with one of those endings that makes you want to shake him- bit of a let down.

I watched, and highly recommend The Big Country yesterday. Gregory Peck, Burl Ives and of all things, a young and relatively hot Charleton Heston. It was gorgeous. Directed by William Wyler (who also did Ben Hur). I got totally sucked in. It's a western. Not my bag, for the most part (I grew up in the west, hated it, and wanted to leave for more populous parts as soon as I could- but then didn't, and decided that after all it wasn't too horrible- except for my home town- still hate it). But a lovely movie nevertheless. And there's a cool Cold War subtext to it- which is interesting when you consider the Heston inclusion.

Still jobless. Still working on Christmas presents. Still feeding the cats...they would kill me if I stopped...


3 comments:

(S)wine said...

luck going out to you regarding the job situation.

just watched "Good night and Good Luck" with my friend "Ronin." Fab film. Old school stylee. Sharp writing. Great acting. Strathairn is the new Bogey. Highly recommend seeing it.

Will, sadly, pass on your book recommendations. Sorry.

How did the GRE thing go?

slyboots2 said...

GREs went better than the first time. Much better. looks like I have a big shot at getting accepted this time. So there's always that. But I would actually like to get into school with some money in the bank...

I think that you're probably a pickier reader than I am- I have kind of pleb tastes mixed in with the highbrow- it's a crap shoot. I promise you, though, that I don't indulge in either Tom Clancy or Danielle Steele. Life is just too fucking short.

Yeah- getting a job...in the meantime, I've been writing like a maniac on a couple of projects...

cb said...

All Of Pregnant Woman's Favorite Names Used Up On Cats

November 23, 2005 | Issue 41•47

EUGENE, OR—Seven months pregnant with her first child, veteran cat lady Claudia Beck, 38, said Monday that she has already used all of her favorite names on her cats. "I've got Madison, Emily, Tyler, Jonathan, Claudia Jr., Dakota, and Todd," Beck said. "Then there's Smokey and Midnight, who are strays I feed." As of press time, Beck and the baby's father, animal-shelter assistant Rich Delgado, were considering naming their child "Boots."

from the onion (of course)