Monday, November 21, 2005

Crimes and Felonies

Kenga got a book at the library- called Scenes of the Crime- with a foreword by James Ellroy (one of my true guilty pleasures- the man can invoke a time and place better than most- and has taught me more slang words for female genitalia than I thought possible). It's crime scene photos from the LAPD archives. Not all murders/death- some other stuff. It's interesting. They really edited carefully- nothing too horrible- all corpses have their faces, no children, basically pretty straight forward stuff.
Interesting though. Basically I am thinking that the photographers are an odd lot. These guys did some interesting things. While they had to provide a document of the crime that the investigators could use later (since a crime scene is by its nature temporary), they also had to keep some kind of emotional distance from it (probably to keep from cracking up- I met a crime scene photographer once who had cracked- not so good). So they focused on framing the photos in unique ways. There's one in particular of a glass door that had been shot though- and the photographer had taken care to include the reflection of children in the neighborhood gawking at the crime scene. Pretty cool shot.
It's kind of a moving book in a way. I am looking at people whose lives either changed or ended in such a sudden way. Most of the murdered ones were cut down in their prime. Looks like mostly middle to lower class. With the notable exception of Thelma Todd's death (look her up on IMDB- sad story). Creepy side note- I knew what I was looking at in several instances before reading the descriptions- I think I know too much about historic crime in LA for my own good.

The part that gets me though is the eyes. The expression on the faces. Just the abrupt ending of it all. No easing out by degrees. Just a sharp end. Some look surprised. Some just look sad. And they are all (with one exception) pretty young. Though since the crimes occurred mostly in the 20s and 30s, they would be very old or dead by now anyway. Just the permenance of it. Always dead at 25. Or 30. Funny how many of the crimes have to do with bootlegging. Makes prohibition seem silly on that level- it seems to have increased crime, rather than eliminated it. Go figure. But that could be a scewed editorial slant by the book's authors too. They obviously chose these images very carefully. With clear intent. Like I said before- it could've been far, far worse. Uglier. Stronger. More brutal.

I'm also haunted by the privacy that's being broken. Death seems like such a personal thing. That these people's deaths are in a book seems odd. I don't have any personal connection to them- if it was a book of my dead relatives, I would feel much differently. But it's strange to see this kind of invasion. I guess I would call it that- since I can't think of any better description.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is off topic of your entry...

I met Marsha today! Not only did Prof. F. wear a turban today, but then, I went to get a haircut, and she was there! With Marsha! And they were wearing matching tracksuits (hers was pink, marsha's was grey) and getting matching haircuts. It was amazing and twilight zone! She introduced me, and it's so wierd how they even sound alike. Wow. Wierd. But cool!

slyboots2 said...

Marsha, Marsha, Marsha!!!

They are truly the wonder twins. Both speak about 5 languages, and can finish eachother's sentences. They write books together. It's really cool. I like them both quite a lot. You are a lucky girl!

(S)wine said...

Ellroy needs to be on that bus. You know the one...the one that goes over that cliff.

Nah, only sort of kidding. I respect Ellroy, but that fucking style of writing of his...ugh! He took Hemingway a bit too seriously.

Yea, i'm with you on the crime photos deal. I'm fascinated by that shite too. I should have been a crime scene photographer. Like Jude Law's character in Road to Perdition. Yea. Just like that. 'Cause I'm a sick fuck.

slyboots2 said...

Funny that you should mention the Jude Law connection- Kenga brought that up when he got the book from the library. There was also a X Files about a crime scene photographer that was very, very cool.

And even though I feel like I should shower with borax after reading his stuff, I get a sick fascination from Ellroy. His head games are just so bizarre. I don't recommend him to many people, though- I see him as an acquired taste that I don't really care to promote.

(S)wine said...

i'm with you on the Ellroy tip.
I've read pretty much everything by him, including the stuff he wrote for GQ a few years back. Like I said, totally respect him, just can't get into him. I do dig LA Confidential, though.