Thursday, February 26, 2009

I got reconnected with some old friends recently. You can figure out the social network device that I used- no need to belabor the whole thing. But interestingly a few of them have stayed in their hometowns. Not necessarily the same as mine anymore, but they have lived in the same place for decades. I just can't fathom. I just can't. Like my father, who lives in the town he grew up in. The town where his father was born (or actually 10 miles East of there, if you need precision). I just can't fathom.

I needed to escape. It's a lovely place, really. Hard to imagine being smothered by a place so thoroughly when you go there. A huge valley, surrounded by mountains, and more sky than expected. But still. It smothered. It constricted. I needed to escape. I didn't go far at first- just to another valley. Narrower, with mountains that were closer together and a river. But it was enough for a while. Then I escaped further, to a desert valley, where the mountains shimmered whitely in the distance, and the landscape lacked all signs of life and hospitality. But I did come back. And it was familiar and strange at the same time. And still, after a few days, I feel the walls closing in. And I need to leave.

I just can't imagine knowing a place where I live to the extent that my friends do their hometowns. I just can't. I wonder if they see new things anymore, or if they just muddle on and do the regular. I don't actually really want to wrap my head around it, as the idea of being a resident of a place for that long just makes me shudder. I have become a nomad in my older age.

3 comments:

kim wells said...

I looked at a lot of my high school co-students (I can't say friends cause they weren't, really) co-inmates? and a whole lot of them are still either in our old hometown or very, very near it. It makes me feel a little bit freakish, actually, for having moved so much. But it's comfortable to imagine being there. And this last move, thus far, has not been anything near comfort. So I can grok staying put in a way I used to not. But I soooo wanna move again. Back. Elsewhere. Anywhere but here.

slyboots2 said...

That was Phoenix for me. Just had to get the hell out. It was never a good fit. It was still a good experience, though- I think it is good to live away for a while.

Anonymous said...

we talk about that often, in this household too. T 's hometown is this little country place just outside Ottawa; she got out when she was 18. we went back last summer and ran into some of her school people working in a bar. i cannot imagine staying put in that place. i see that w/my friends also, and they've stayed put in a major metro area which is recession proof, basically (so it make sense), but it STILL doesn't compute w/me. i'd never go back to live in DC, and that's DC. we are again itching to move to a bit more progressive area; but we're pretty much tied down here for family reasons, and you know them.

T bounced around Toronto forEVER. she can't stay put for sure, i get restless after about 4 or so years.

i think we are all gypsies, really. 'you can't go home again.' and so it goes.