Saturday, December 03, 2005

No brainer of the day

I was just reading that Disney is selectively targeting Christian groups when promoting the new Narnia movie. Well. Shiver me timbers- that's alarming! Really, I'm surprised that this is news. No I'm not- the news industry is bankrupt of ideas, so my cat crapping on the living room floor rather than in the box would probably make CNN if I worded the press release properly.

But I hope that no one who has read the book and is over the age of 8 is surprised by the subtext. I figured that one out when I was in 3rd grade. And I'm no bloody protegy- just was a relatively smart kid. I still plan on seeing the movie- I really have no problem with old C.S.- he seemed like a good enough egg. I had a friend (had being the operating word) who was a bigot. She refused to buy shoes from Sierra Trading Post because it's a faith oriented organization. But, I protested, they have really, really good shoes! For cheap! But she was determined to punish them for having Bible quotes on their catalogs. This really pissed me off. I saw it as just as bad as refusing to do business with a store run by someone Jewish. Or by a Muslim. I tried to explain that I thought that they had a right to their beliefs, and just because they chose to include those quotes in their own literature, they weren't adverse to taking our money or selling really, really good shoes for cheap. She was a bitch. That's about where I'll leave it for now.

But let the headline for today be- news flash, English Christian theologian, C.S. Lewis wrote a series of books with Christian overtones. The movie developed from this series also includes Christian overtones. You are hereby warned. Funny though, the advertising I've seen on the tv has emphasized the fighting/war elements of the movie rather than the magic, religious ones. I'll ponder that one for a while.

2 comments:

(S)wine said...

a lot of us protesting and/or boycotting the religious stuff pumped out by corporations, are really protesting the blatant funneling of $ to the Republican Party or its causes.

i do see the "I'm not doing business w/them because they're Jewish" issue, but nowadays, I think a lot of people are anti-religion/religious right because of its tangential political reaches and its influence in partisan politics.

slyboots2 said...

I just don't see what purpose it serves, when some of these people are really decent, and are good employers. Especially in small towns where the options are so limited. Walmart, hell yeah. Screw them. But the local Christian plumber? Who lives next door? And whose daughter was your babysitter? I don't like the Republicans either, but see that plenty of corporations butter their toast on both sides. So what does it matter?