Saturday, November 07, 2009

OK, so there have been distractions. We have a cat with cancer. Cancerkitty is doing well. Surprisingly well, given that he is old and has the dia-betus. But he is responding to the chemo like a trooper, and has lost his icky head bump an no longer smells like feet.

I am working on getting another job. Within the company. But hitting my network hard. And it is yielding pretty good results so far. But it's early stages. Finally had the moment of truth talk with my new manager. Found out that despite the fact that my current job has expanded from one manager to coverage for four of them (yes, 4. Not one, not two, and not three. But 4.) that there is absolutely, positively no hope of a promotion or raise. None. Full stop. That was good information to have. Gave me something to think about, certainly. Ok, I'll admit. I pouted for the first day. But then it was a good galvanizing force. Made me decide with certainty that I need to change career paths. And that is a good thing.

I am now working on the technical writing path. It's going to be a stretch to get there, but that is plan A. Plan B is the project management path. I am going to work my ass off to investigate both, and decide on the best fit and the most easily obtainable at this moment. Because I am not given the luxury of sitting around and discussing theoreticals any more. I gotta move. And sooner rather than later. Because what I am doing is fine, for a short duration. But over the long run, I will simply combust. And that would leave an icky mess.

1 comment:

A-fox said...

Oh noes! He has cancer?!?! Keep us posted, we love that kitty SO much! Good work on the job front:) We shall chat soon I hope!