Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Ok, we are back- and slogging through it all. Yesterday I had the first real bump at my job- came home hating it. This hasn't happened in over 2 years. Positive spin= I should be so lucky. Negative spin= time to think about what comes next. Both I can deal with. Neither are horribly fun, though. Especially since I feel like my boss totally threw me under the bus, so to speak. But there you have it. My natural inclination to charge ahead was really a large part of the problem- I have never understood the "fools rush in where angels fear to tread" dictum. Seemed excessively cautious. Now I have an inkling as to why it might be more appropriate sometimes.

Not that I want to deal with it today. Or anything work-related really.

4 comments:

A. Fox said...

Oh noes, what happened?

slyboots2 said...

I just acted on a policy change that was supposed to have been communicated while we were gone, and wasn't. And when I explained the policy to the team at large, learned that the boss had decided to can it. Would've been nice if they had bothered to tell me. But there you have it. I guess I should've been psychic and asked. Sigh.

Adnrearahrah said...

You should just call Kathleen beforehand from now on, for everything! (that won't add up or anything....lol:)). Well, it sounds like it could be worse, but no fun nonetheless. I hope it is all up from here!

(S)wine said...

you know, this probably won't help, but seriously...all things related to our jobs or work in general are to be taken so lightly that we may even be accused of not caring. i've learned in my LOOONG ass 40 years that NOTHING work-related defines who I am, what I do, my personality, or my interests. Even when I've worked jobs that I liked, or within fields that I studied. My approach to a job/work is basically that of a worker standing at a machine/conveyor belt with interminable products rolling by, waiting to be assembled.

when people ask: "what do you do?" i answer: "you know, drink booze, read books, write a bit, play music, travel, play some tennis now and again..."

i came across a similar situation as you outline here in your post...I honestly didn't give a shit; it was management's responsibility to inform me while I was gone; and if they were to play the "he doesn't take initiative card" I would've jumped at their throats. I am a nice, social, pleasant, half-ass funny guy, but if you fuck with me unfairly, you are fucking dead. At the risk of losing my job and everything else, you are fucking dead.

Anyway, too much aggression there...but yea; work does not define you, no matter how much you think it does, or how much you love it. It still doesn't.

peace out!