Thursday, November 27, 2008

Watched the most AMAZING documentary last night. I cannot recommend it highly enough. It is one of the reasons I love Art History, and History in general. The impact of a few individuals on generations of people....

"The Rape of Europa." All about the impact on art of WWII. Not a cheery tale. But certainly one of hope, and one of remembrance. It was amazing. Just fucking amazing. I think that several people on my Christmas list are going to get a copy. None of them read here, so I'm not ruining any surprises.

But seriously, it was worth watching. The sheer impact of the war, and the catastrophic losses that happened versus the contributions of hundreds are just riveting. Bloody amazing.

And now I have another installment of the documentary PR series on the Queen to watch. I love it mainly because it is cool as hell to see the palaces, etc. in HD, and I think it's really interesting to see the spin on it all. Notice I called it PR? Right. I'm under no illusions that every frame is deliberate and on message.

I just don't understand how people can visit the woman without being drawn to the art on the walls. Just some amazing stuff. Much more interesting than the little lady with the incredible pearls.

On that note, I want a really nice graduated set of pearls now. Nothing on the Queen's scale- those suckers are worth more than the combined value of my family's houses. But something nice and elegant. That I can then wear with my signature v-neck t-shirts and jeans.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pearls, dahling? I never would have thought it...

I'm hoping you know that I read here...so that I don't get a copy of that documentary. Hahaha! Seriously, I'm gunning for a collection of Bratz dolls for xmas. They're just so klasssy.

Anonymous said...

saw it.
it was fantastic.
fuckin' Nazis.
(although i must say, for being considered a "mediocre" artist, Hitler's early work ain't so bad. work as in art, i mean)

slyboots2 said...

No Bratz for you. Never, never, never. Feh. They are ugly.

And it was a fantastic documentary. I'm still mulling parts over. I like that- thinking about something still days after watching.