Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Ok, so maybe the bottle of champagne on top of the large bottle of beer was overkill on a Tuesday night. But it was worth it. And it was deserved. Because we hadn't celebrated like that since oh....1996 or thereabouts. And it was the same. A bottle of champagne. Because it was important. And it was finally happening.

So perhaps I am feeling a little feeble this morning. I am ok with that. Because I feel like something important happened last night. When I was little, I saw people rioting on tv. I saw soldiers dying on tv. I saw a president discraced on tv. I saw too much to really comprehend, but now that I am an adult, I know what I saw. And I know what I hate about what I saw. And I see how very far we have come.

Earlier in the campaign, I heard a woman on tv talking about how much the new president "scared her". And I thought, "good." You ought to be scared. Because you are also being challenged. Face the fear, and determine whether or not it is a good fear. Determine whether or not it is a fear based on logic and actual self-preservation, or if instead it is a fear based on what you are being told. If the latter is true, then you are pitiful and need to man up. If the former is true, then there are one hell of a lot of very deluded people in this country right now. I am falling towards the latter in a big way. Some how I doubt our new president is a bear. Or a snake. Or a poisonous spider. I don't think he is a tornado, a hurricane or a killing ice-storm. So nothing to fear there, folks. Embrace change, because the stalemate that we have been enduring hasn't exactly brought prosperity and joy to the country. It's like that, you know. Study history, and you will see what I mean. Patterns and their recognition. Rises and falls.

But the important thing is to shake it up from time to time. That is very, very important.

And now I must pop an asperin, and go to work. And try not to gloat- that is not being a good winner. And the other side went down with dignity- we raised our glasses in honor of a very good concession speech. If he had used that voice throughout the campaign, we might've seen a different outcome. I'm just sayin.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel largely the same...too much champagne and my Specially Reserved pear ciders...and fast food...and VICTORY! I'm wearing my Obama button to gloat. What a great time to be an American!

slyboots2 said...

There were plenty of people in my workshop yesterday who had their Obama regalia on. They were happy. And the other side tried not to be too bitter.

Anonymous said...

but wait...studying up means educating oneself. and that means, GASP, ELITISM!

ha. fuckers. all of them. it's our turn now to tell them: MOVE OUT OF THE COUNTRY! good riddance.

slyboots2 said...

Where shall we send them? I am thinking Australia. The outback is big, full of scary, poisonous things, and relatively uninhabited. They should fit just fine there. Or we can annex some part of Canada that they don't want anymore.