Wednesday, April 09, 2008

If it's not raining it's bloody foggy outside. Once upon a time, I thought it would be wonderful to live in England. Well, most of my childhood, actually. Always wanted it. Ever since I ran across a children's biography of Queen Elizabeth I. Then I read everything I could find about England. And being English. But Montana is a long way from England. Like that's not obvious. And my family is a far cry from English. We speak the language, and that's about it. Most of the rest of it is as foreign as the Galapagos. We have wonderful teeth (for the most part). We drink our beer cold (if we drink beer). We don't particularly cotton to cricket- it bores us. As does soccer. We prefer American Football. We don't drive British cars- the electronics are too sketchy. And there's no one in town to service them. And growing up, I don't remember having tea in the house. That particular fact really bothered me. Because tea seemed important. A cornerstone really. And we were so very unBritish. And I wanted it to be different. I wanted tea.

I remember my mother went out of her way to buy me tea. It was the Lipton kind. And I overbrewed it. It was the nastiest stuff I had consumed, with the exception of the vodka I sipped one time (wanted to see what the fuss was about- still can't drink it- appears aversion therapy works sometimes). So I thought tea was nasty, and the English were a tad odd.

But this weather thing. Nothing romantic about it, really. Just moist. And too cold for things to grow properly yet. I used to love foggy days, mainly because I can count on one hand how often they occurred. But now I have lost count, and the romantic aspects of it are vanishing quickly. Because all it really means is that the drive to work will be slower, and the windows at work will be all pearly, and dark.

But it's not all bad. I didn't grow up English, but I did grow up with a fondness for Mary Poppins. And for Ian Fleming. And for Arthur Conan Doyle. And for Virginia Woolf. There are others on the list, I am just getting bored.

Cheerio.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

jaysus, both coasts are getting the same thing; it's been rainy, cool, and grey here 12 days straight.

i've never wanted to live in england; just visit it.

and kudos to you; you used my least favourite word in the engrrrrish language: MOIST!

ugh.
p.s. EF Blogger for not reading my open URL (Wordpress) and for me having to try at least 10 times to publish my lousy comments. SWITCH TO WORDPRESS, ALL A YOUS!! (zombie, you listenin?)

slyboots2 said...

Do you know how to migrate content over? I hate to be a quitter and all that.

Anonymous said...

nah, it's ok; it's a problem Blogger has from time to time; they usually fix it in a few hrs.

if you ever want to switch to Wordpress, there's an "import content" button you just click and presto! your blogger posts and comments are migrated into the new blah-g.

Bwana said...

Are youse two guys still twitchin' about Blogger? I would have thought you had invented something marvelous by now that would drive the cretinous slugs into the deep!

OK, a dick-wad comment, but since I haven't been on T'Internet since getting out of stir, I have becomed rusty in my repartee.

zombieswan said...

When I was in England about six years ago (I can't believe it's been that long) it was remarkably sunny & hot. For three weeks, we had about one full day of light rain. I had expected rain. You hear about rain. No real rain! Dammit.

But Seattle? When I lived up yonder, we got rain, oooooohhhh yeah. And that's what it's like here in the swampland today, too. But it's okay. Makes the flowers grow.

Bwana said...

UK has become quite sub-tropical-like, ain't it?

Bwana said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
slyboots2 said...

Ah, if only I HAD invented something akin to Blogger, etc. Then I wouldn't be working for the man. Nope. He would be buying my ass lunch.