Friday, June 12, 2009

Watched parts of the very plodding "Benjamin Button" last night. Glad that I didn't sit through the whoooollllleeeee long and interminable thing.

But there was one quote at the end that got me. It got me badly. Benjamin looks at the love of his life, Daisy and says something like, "I think I had a life before, but I don't remember it." I paraphrase because it's not out on Imdb, and I don't feel like watching it again. Actually it's sealed up and ready to return.

What got me, though is that I thought about my grandmother, who sits in a grey fog in a home with others in the same state. She was a vibrant, funny, rather mean woman, who hid her smarts and had a few wonderfully subversive moments. All that is pretty much gone.

My greatest fear is that she has those glimpses of her past, and knows what she has lost. That slays me. It got me last night. I cried for her for the first time. Because even if she doesn't know what she has lost, I sure as hell do.

4 comments:

Andrea said...

Ugh, I hated that movie. The best parts are the guy who keeps getting hit by lightening. The rest is crap. But that is a great quote and a great analogy. I'm sorry you cried.

Anonymous said...

I liked it.

The book is better, and no - it isn't the Fitzgerald story everyone says its from...

rather The Confessions of Max Tivoli

(S)wine said...

Anon, actually Greer wrote Tivoli AFTER Fitzgerald wrote/published his short story. When interviewed, Fincher (Button's director) said the film was inspired by Fitzgerald's short not Greer's novel. In any case, I"m in no hurry to see it.

Sly, last night The Missus and I watched (I re-watched) "Network" on Netflix on demand. I first saw this when I was 11 and you can imagine I didn't get any of it. But now...dear Sly...I can safely say it's brrrrilliant! Cheers.

slyboots2 said...

I love "Network". I often quote it. You know what I say. And likely as not, it is justified.